Tuesday, December 7, 2010

No Going Back on Crusade for Just Society,Says Tinubu


image Tinubu


Former Lagos State Governor Bola Tinubu yesterday said the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) cannot be used to deter him from crusading for a just society.   
Tinubu spoke while fielding questions from reporters at the Lagos State House of Assembly Complex in Alausa, Ikeja.
Reacting to a recent alarm raised  by the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) that there is a plan to use the EFCC to intimidate him, Tinubu said the commission cannot manufacture a case where there is none.
Yesterday,the Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB)  said it would reopen the case against Tinubu.
Its Chairman Mr. Sam Saba said: “Only yesterday (Monday), the Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and I were discussing the issue. I told her that it is the responsibility of the bureau to prosecute him. His case is still with us. I will meet the EFCC Chairman and the Attorney-General of the Federation to get  the case file. The case against the former governor and his family is not closed yet.”
The CCB chair was reacting to a question at the end of his briefing on the  Bureau’s activities.
Tinubu said: “I don’t believe the EFCC is an institution meant to harass, intimidate and embarrass opponents. Till date, I am not worried about the shenanigans of these people. I don’t believe the releases of the EFCC and whoever is making them.
“They might be under political pressure to do what is not right, but they ought to be careful. The President must be truthful to his commitment to this country about the rule of law.
“But a threat to my life as was published, I am not worried about that. This is not the first time I am facing such a threat. I have been facing it since 1991, 1993 and 1994. That was during the military dictatorship and our crusade to bring democracy to the country. 
“God Almighty is the security for every one of us. I will never be afraid. I will continue my struggle in pursuit of liberty; for right to life; right to justice; right to what is the right of all of us in a democratic dispensation.
“If those so-called opponents are becoming a danger and we all become afraid to lead the crusade for full democratisation, for true federalism, for justice in our society, then we are finished as a nation. I am not afraid about that. Whether it is a rumour or real, I don’t even pay attention to it.” 
Tinubu denied claims that he has anointed the next governor of the state. He said: “I am not into that. I am not a pastor. I don’t have the anointing oil or the spiritual power. I am just a party leader and leadership is about collective decision.
“We will take our time and you will know through the democratic process. You have the right for endorsement; you have the right to be in position of influence. I am just one of the people who will look at all aspects of governance and if you want to provoke a hint, you can’t get that one from me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment